In March of 2021, we were proud to announce that Ethelo is a B Corp, and in April, Ethelo was named the world’s leading digital democracy platform. And the good news doesn't stop there! Just a few months after joining this worldwide movement of companies using business as a force for good, we’re even prouder to say that Ethelo’s been recognized as one of the Best for the World™ B Corps of 2021 in the Governance Impact Area.
The Best for the World™ B Corps are businesses that score in the top 5 percent worldwide in one or more of the five impact areas used to assess companies when applying for B Corp status. Ethelo came out near the top in the Governance Impact Area, which evaluates a company’s overall mission, ethics, accountability and transparency through topics such as integration of social and environmental goals in employees’ performance evaluation, impact reporting and transparency, stakeholder engagement, and more.
We’re excited about some of the best practices and initiatives we’re working on that helped us get recognized for this award. They include our:
- Mission to empower everyday people to solve society’s hardest problems through the development and implementation of eDemocracy technology
- Commitment to treat social and environmental impact as a primary measure of success, and prioritizing it
- Strategy to scale the company by helping local governments enable democratic engagement around climate change solutions
- Mechanisms to identify and engage traditionally underrepresented stakeholder groups or demographics
- Formal and regular processes for gathering information from stakeholders and addressing the results from these engagements
- Reporting of stakeholder engagement results on social and environmental performance to the highest level of oversight in the company.
Our score of 19.3 in the Governance Impact Area was great to see, and as we mentioned in our first announcement, we’re just getting started. We’re planning to keep improving all our scores with a commitment to scaling equitable community engagement, helping communities build consensus, and reducing polarization to help solve some of the world’s most pressing environmental and social issues.
We’re also committed to collaborating with and learning from our fellow members of the global B Corp community. Being in the company of amazing B Corps like Rhiza Capital and Apolitical is inspiring us to continue pushing the limits of how businesses can be forces for good in the world.